What We Do

We have served Uganda for the last four years.
John served at the church's operations director and then re-opened Calvary Chapel Bible College Uganda in 2014.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

How to Change A Light Bulb




Outdoor security lights are important for us missionaries in Africa.  They, along with a fence, are our first line of security.  Security is very important.  During our recent furlough, there was one car vandalism and two burglaries in our neighborhood.

But when a security light goes out, changing the bulb is a royal pain.  The problem is getting off the glass cover.  The cover’s bolts require a special screwdriver, and nobody in Kampala sells that screwdriver.



Security light outside our front door


An electrician told me to use needle nose pliers to unscrew the bolts.  But doing that can easily take a half-hour.  Working faster can ruin the bolt.  After changing the bad bulb, you get to screw the bolts back in.  And that’s another half-hour.



I had to change two bulbs before we departed for furlough.  That took me over two hours, and it was incredibly frustrating.

While on furlough, I was on a quest to find a replacement for those pesky bolts.  I visited Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Ace, but none had what I needed.  After hours of internet searching, I found it.  It’s called “Machine Screw, M5x0.8, 60mm, Pan Head, Phillips.”  I am indebted to John DeJauregui who actually got me these special screws.  Now I only need a Phillips screwdriver and about two minutes to replace a bad bulb.

And that’s my story on how to change a light bulb.


From Kampala, 

John Eastham, Missionary to Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment